Friday, October 03, 2008

Speech Therapy

Liberty had her speech evaluation yesterday. It is so interesting how they evaluate a child. Liberty had so much fun. 3 ladies came to our home and pulled out tons of toys and just played with her a bunch and asked her to do things. At first she was hiding behind the couch and then snuggled into my shoulder. When I started playing she warmed up to them. They pulled out scissors and she was intrigued. She cut with them for a long time. Anyway, the results were exactly what I suspected. She is the development of a average three year old in her gross and fine motor skills and her social skills. Her understanding of language she rated as a 24-30 month old and her expressive language skills they rated at the age of 9-12 months. My first reaction was Woah! That is so low. I guess the way they rate is that there are several skills they have to master in each age group. If they master all but one they still don't get rated at that age they have to go down to the lower range until the find an age range that they have all of them mastered. So that is why she scored so low. So we are going to start speech therapy soon. I am kind of excited about it after yesterday. It was so fun for Liberty and it is just like having a preschool teacher in our home for her. Yeah for state funded programs like these. I hope soon we will be able actually figure out what she is saying to us without having to guess.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

It is probably nice to be validated as a mom and given a course to follow so she can catch up. Good luck!