Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Green Thumb...I hope

Well I finally finished getting my garden planted. Thanks so much to my honey for building the box and tilling the soil to prepare it for me. It wasn't an easy job in nearly 100 degree weather. I hear it was 118 degrees in Arizona on Sunday so we are grateful for the heat of 98 here. Anyway, the apple tree in my garden is getting moved when the weather cools off again. I don't want to kill it. My garden has one watermelon plant, two canteloupe, one honeydew, 4 jalepeno peppers, five crookneck yellow squash, and two zucchini plants. Oh and 26 Blue Lake bean plants. I am hoping this year to freeze most of the squash as it ripens so I will be able to eat it year round. The beans I canned last year in a water bath canner and Some of them rotted cause the seal didn't stay sealed. So this year I am going to hope for a pressure cooker canner for my birthday. Or maybe I can find a friend who has one to come and show me how to use it before I buy one.

Ok that is just my backyard garden. I also have a garden in the front that I posted a picture of last year. It has tons of strawberries, 5 tomato plants, 4 zucchini, two yellow squash and one cucumber. Here's to fresh produce!

So I finally finished relandscaping my front yard. I pulled a ton of plants that I hated and pulled up all the landscape fabric. I also put down the black compost dirt over the wood chips I had. It looks so much better now. I have been trying to get rid of plants that seem too desert like to me. Last night I bought and planted a Tinkerbell Lilac bush where our old Yashiki Willow was. That tree looked like a tumbleweed on a stick, especially in the winter with no leaves. So again Thanks to my wonderful husband for being such a great sport about me changing so much of my yard. Since it made so much more work for him I thought he would complain but he didn't. i love you William!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

TOO much ambition Deanna. You are sick! I am kidding! It looks FANTASTIC! If it was 200 degrees outsde I might have a garden. Ok that is what I keep telling myself! Have a GREAT 4th! Tammi

Anonymous said...

I am with Tammi on this one. No way am I going out there and attempting a pitiful garden, which is what it would be when I got done with it. Go You!! Take care and Happy Independence Day!

Amie said...

I'm so jealous, what a great garden!